Thirty-eighth day- emotional.

10:53 PM flashesofgold 0 Comments

Today was an eventful day. Some things that happened while Hannah and I were not feeling too great:
-Eduardo, who had been absent from our class for about 2 weeks, came back to school today. It was definitely a high point of my day.
-Milton cried about getting on "the list," which led to me explaining to him that he was not a bad kid.
-Xavier hit the other kids at recess, resulting in me yelling at him.
-After recess, I came into a class full of kids with various wooden sticks, trying to hit each other.
But one of the biggest things today was that Jairo cried. He was misbehaving in class [which is a normal occurence], so I took him outside and gave him the "disappointed" speech. To this he only nodded in silence and agreed, until I gave him a hug. He broke into tears during our embrace, which not only reminded me that he is indeed a good kid, but also of the fact that I would miss him a ridiculous amount back in the states. It reminded me of why I loved Jairo so much...because even though he misbehaves, he can do well with the right kind of attention. With kids like him and Milton, I really couldn't imagine leaving. I couldn't imagine giving them the attention they needed and then leaving them to return to normal school.
After school, I got some laundry done and during the night we all played Oh Heck and Most Likely To. I can't remember the last time that I laughed so hard for such a long time. During Most Likely To, everyone clearly got the pieces of paper that matched their fake "stereotypes," which made the game extremely hilarious. Caitlin got the ones related to violence, Alaina and Courtney with being attractive young women, Annie with being strange, and so on. Four people from our ed group, who are heading to Peru, are leaving tomorrow which set a sad tone on this night. It hasn't quite hit me that we're leaving so soon...but laughing and enjoying every minute here has made me realize I love all these people so very much.

0 comments: